/** Google Analytics script below */ /** end Google Analytics script */

Friday, July 8, 2011

Momentum

Newton’s first law of motion can be paraphrased as:

An object in motion stays in motion and an object at rest stays at rest unless acted upon by an outside force.

In my case, LIFE was the outside force that stopped my blogging momentum, and to some extent, my stitching momentum.

So, what’s the outside force in getting me moving again? That would be my several recent reminders that life is short, and you never know when your time is up.

That’s why I’m back. I’ve been thinking about what gets me motivated to stitch, and about what makes me want to share it through blogging. I started this blog over four years ago with the intent of encouraging stitchers to overcome any intimidation when trying new techniques (C’mon – it’s Just String!) At the time, I had several projects going on a loose rotation, so readers never knew from one day to the next what technique I might be posting about.

For the past two years, though, I’ve become more of a one-at-a-time stitcher. I wanted to reduce the overall time it took to complete a project, especially given the reduced stitching time since our spitfire lovely daughter came on the scene. Unfortunately, I’ve found that I’m less motivated to post when there’s such small incremental progress from day to day, and it’s the same technique for several months at a time. (I actually got into the habit of posting about stuff I did the previous week, rather than what I was currently stitching, and that took a lot of the fun out of it.)

(I’m curious, though. What do you like to read about? Progress on a single project or a variety of projects?)

So I’m starting to mix it up a bit again. I’ve got a canvas piece in the works, a sampler, and an upcoming correspondence course in Schwalm embroidery. Who knows? I may even pick up one of my longtime stumpwork WIPs from time to time. As I’ve stated before, I’m a bit of a “mood” stitcher. I have to be in the mood to stitch on a certain project, or I won’t stitch. It’s the variety of projects that keeps me motivated to stitch, and motivated to share them with all of you.

I’m rebuilding momentum! It should be a fun ride.

6 comments:

MeganH said...

I hope your momentum continues to re-build, and everything is ok at home.
Personally I prefer to read about the progress of one project, so I can remember what has been happening with it, but as you say, you are a 'mood stitcher'.
Do what makes you feel good!

And I know about getting behind in blogging. It goes from 'look what I achieved today' to "this is work, and what the heck did I do at this point anyway?

Denise said...

The thing I love about your blog - you teach! I have never tried any of your stitches and such but I know where to go when I need advice.

We've missed you - so I'm hoping you are able to blog more.

Donna said...

I loved rereading your Just String story. And I love that you do such a wide variety of projects. Happy to see you back posting.

mskathk said...

Welcome back!

Wendy said...

I know exactly how you feel. I've recently been scheduling posts. It just makes it easier if I take all my photos at the weekend when I'm around during daylight, then upload them so I can write my posts, but then I get bored of the project and never really feel like I'm giving the true picture.

Blog what you feel like, when you feel like it, I suppose that's the key.

Edy said...

So glad you're back! Missed you.