Just String (a.k.a. this blog) turns three years old today. Over the past three years, I've been blessed with the continuation of a happy marriage, a wonderful daughter, lots of amazing stitching opportunities, and a fair number of loyal blog-reading friends. Thank you all for the amazing support, especially over the past year or so.
That said, it's about time for a blog overhaul. I'm not sure when all of this is going to happen, but I wanted to give you all a heads up that change is in the air.
So, what's changing? It might actually be better to tell you what's not changing: the focus of Just String. This blog has always been primarily about encouraging stitchers, either directly or by example, to try something new and to stretch their stitchy muscles. That will not change, unless it's to improve!
The major change is the move to a new website on a custom domain. Blogger/blogspot just doesn't do everything I want to do! Don't worry. It should be a pretty seamless transition for all of you:
- I'm working on making all of the old links point to the new Just String.
- In case somebody does get through to the old site, there will be a link there to get to the new version.
- For all of you reading this via an web (RSS) feed, the feed will automatically transition to the new site. (And if you don't know what a web feed is, don't worry. If you're curious, check out this site.)
- A new look and feel. Hooray!
- Better organization of the site
- A comment form so you can send me email. I've always avoided putting my email address here to cut down on spam.
- New types of content:
- Stitchy book reviews (both new books and oldies-but-goodies)
- Some "back to basics" articles so we can all improve or refresh our techniques (and help newbies)
- The ability to get new posts delivered by email (for those who don't use an RSS reader)
- Advertising. Up 'til now, I haven't had any advertising on the site, aside from a couple of affiliate links to Amazon over the past few months. The reality is that a having a custom domain and hosting giveaways both cost money. I'd like to be open and honest about this.
In the very near future (even before moving to the new site), I'll be adding links to both Amazon and Abe Books (great for out of print books) to the sidebar. Using these links doesn't cost you any more or less money than going directly to these sites, but I'll earn a (very small) percentage of your purchase if you use my links. You may also see links to these sites in book reviews, and yes, purchasing through those links will help, too.
Over time, I may add more advertising, but please accept my promise that I'll make sure it doesn't take over the site. I hate spammy blogs, and I'm sure you do, too!
- Refocusing. Prior my pregnancy, Just String stayed very focused on needlework. Since the end of 2008, though, quite a bit of my family life has found its way into my posts. I have enjoyed sharing the joy that Erin has brought into our lives, and have been immensely grateful for all of your support through our medical difficulties. Thank you.
However (you knew there was going to be a "however"!), with the move to the new site, I plan on posting with my full name. In the interest of keeping Just String as specific as possible and also for Erin's safety (since we have a very uncommon last name), I will not be continuing to post "Erin updates" here. I'll also be removing past photos and stories about her. I apologize for making this move, and I know it's not going to be very popular, but I need to act in her best interest.
The good news is that I am starting a separate site, completely unlinked to Just String, and I'll be moving all of the Erin updates there. I know who has posted comments to my previous updates, and I'll be happy to give access to Erin's site to those of you who would like to keep following her story. Please either leave a comment with an email address (which I'll later delete) here or wait until the new site is up and use my contact form to request the site's address.
As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions.
Oh, and Happy St. Patrick's Day! :-)