/** Google Analytics script below */ /** end Google Analytics script */

Thursday, May 8, 2008

The 200th post: playing with colors on a new project

Wow! I can't believe that this is my 200th post! I'm still enjoying the blog, and look forward to many more.

Last night I started Mystery in a Corner by Gay Ann Rogers. This piece uses two colors of metallics. I'm using silver and dark burgundy. I will likely play with the order of these colors depending on how they look in a given area, but I simply couldn't decide which color should be used first in the center. Instead, I stitched the center half one way and half the other, knowing that I'd be taking out whichever half didn't call to me. See how the bottom metallics are opposite those on the top?

Then, through the wonders of technology*, I created an entire center one way and then the other.

Both DH and I like the version with the silver in the inner most ring (on the left, below). It's a bit brighter than the alternative. I'm working on more of the borders tonight and then will be ripping out the darker half of the center square.


*To manipulate the image, I used GIMP for Windows, an open source (i.e. FREE!) application that will do everything that Photoshop will (or at least everything I need it to do!).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting how different people see different designs as "better". I think the design on the right, with the red band between the two silver bands is "better". I also like the way the single silver threads radiating to the edges seem to come from the silver square on the right hand design. But in the end, the creator gets the final vote. You are creating this. You will be living with it, so it should please you first.

Cyn said...

Hi Jeanne,

I just found your blog a week or two ago. I had a wonderful time reading all of your entries. You do beautiful work!

I've been resisting Gay Ann Rogers' Mystery in a Corner but I love the colors that you are using so I might have to break down and order the project!

I do like the variation that you picked. Now you'll need to show us how it looks after it's restitched!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I like the left side design better, but Kathryn, metallics don't photograph well. What we see and what Jeanne sees in person are two different things.

Jane, waving to all before exiting to check out GIMP here in Chilly Hollow
(thanks again, Jeanne!)

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and am blown away with your stitching! I have been trying to decide on colors for the mystery. Do you know what others have done and seen pictures - I would love to see others as we are not starting it until next month. Thanks for your inspiration. Chris