/** Google Analytics script below */ /** end Google Analytics script */

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Corner experiments

Since I don't have a one-for-one match for all of the threads originally used on My Way, I need to play with my threads and colors for each area. (Tough job, but somebody's got to do it.) Before I start stitching either the corner or center of a block, I go through my threads and select replacements for the called-for threads in that area. Rather than just assuming I'll always use thread X in place of original thread Y, I like to see how all the pulled threads work together.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Case in point - the original threads I pulled for the corners on my block G:


Wow. That outer teal band, while pretty by itself (especially stitched in two strands of Impressions), sticks out like a sore thumb next to the rest of the corner. It's a bit too bright and provides too much contrast. The problem is that the instructions say to pull a dark color of this family, and I really don't have a dark teal.

I wondered what would happen if I changed that band to a dark gray-blue from my neutrals family. Here's the result:

It's a bit tough to see in the photo with the reflection off of the pearl cotton, but this combination seems to be better, though I'm still not completely sold on it.  What do you think?  Should I change something else?

4 comments:

barbi said...

I am living vicariously thru you because I really want to do this piece one day. I took a look at your whole piece so far from Tues and then compared corners from today. I personally think the blue-gray pulls it down a bit too far.Are you using floss? Would 'needle blending' help. You know, putting 2 shades of color together to get that middle tone.Just a thought.

MeganH said...

I think the second choice works well - it 'walks the path' with the maroon

Anonymous said...

I love your 2nd choice of colour. Once all 4 corners are done they are going like arrowheads pointing to the middle motif - very cool!
And that tiny square of turqouise in the middle of the corners gives the perfect lift.
Jocelyn

NCPat said...

I agree with Jocelyn...the little spot of turguoise carries this and lets the new color work with all them. I say keep going, and if the next step also works, then you have it. I like how it looks!