/** Google Analytics script below */ /** end Google Analytics script */

Monday, March 22, 2010

Oriental stitch background

As of last week, my hand has recovered sufficiently from carpal tunnel surgery to allow me to pick up some canvas work. My attention was caught by Joan Thomasson's Celebration Santa. Over the course of three or four days, I was able to FINALLY finish Santa's background.

The background is stitched in Oriental stitch using four strands of Needle Necessities floss. When I began the background (months ago), my first impression was that this stitch seemed quite large for the background. In fact, I still think it's a bit large, but I think it will be fine once Santa is finished into a stand-up figure. The curved surface of the figure, especially at the edges, will, I hope, help Santa stand out and the background recede a bit. What do you think?

Santa still needs quite a bit more work, but most of it is fun touches. Stay tuned for the details!

2 comments:

Edy said...

Looks like he's walking through a snow storm!

Anonymous said...

I like the texture of the background, and with the use of the overdyed thread there is color variation that adds movement. I like the choice of the stitch and the thread! Sandi