/** Google Analytics script below */ /** end Google Analytics script */

Sunday, March 16, 2008

More Winds & new storage

The lady is progressing a bit slowly this week. One of her scarves is done on the left side, and the part in progress on the right is meant to be part of a scarf also.

This scarf is done in Hungarian stitch, but the colors are changing along the length, too. The shading technique used here is called "hardside shading", and only a single color of thread is used in the needle at any one time (as opposed to blending threads in the needle). In this technique, when you reach the line marking the color change, the stitch is supposed to be compensated.

The trouble is, it's really tough to keep the pattern of the stitch in such a skinny area, especially with all the compensating stitches. I going to frog (rip-it!) a bit and not compensate in the middle of a stitch length. I may still do, for example, the first stitch (over 2) with one color, then the remaining two stitches of the pattern (over 4, then over 2) with another color, but I don't think I like splitting a given stitch length. The pattern of the stitches should show up better if I don't compensate the stitch lengths, and I'll enjoy stitching it more. Does that make sense? I'll try to take a before and after picture to explain when I rip it out tomorrow.

On another note, I bought a new floss cabinet today! For the first time ever, I visited the local "Christmas Tree Shops". It's an odd name for a discount store, but it's appropriate at least for one season out of the year! This store opened over a year ago, and I had heard that some good deals could be had there. I didn't know what to really expect. It was sort of like "Target meets the dollar store". A friend said it was like a flea market - there was quite a bit of junk, but you could find really good stuff if you looked!

I picked up a few things, but the real reason I went was for a cabinet I saw in an ad. I couldn't find the cabinet advertised, but I did find a great 7-drawer lingerie chest - a.k.a. FLOSS CABINET! It was marked down from $130 to $100, and it was completely solid wood, and came fully assembled (except for the feet). I had brought a couple of Floss Away bags with me, and this worked perfectly!

When I got home, I made a few drawer dividers out of cardboard, and transferred my DMC collection to the cabinet. It took 3 of the seven drawers, but the bags fit perfectly, just as I hoped! I'm headed back tomorrow to buy another cabinet!

Check out the perfect fit:

1 comment:

Love to Stitch 99 said...

This is such an interesting and fascinating design. Colors are also beautiful.

Love your floss cabinet :-)

Pierrette =^..^=