/** Google Analytics script below */ /** end Google Analytics script */

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

$40.28 and 373 skeins later...

You may have heard that Walmart will soon no longer be carrying DMC. The news has been going around on the needlework boards. So, I ventured out to my local store to see what (if any) DMC they had for 10¢ a skein.

Now, I rarely go into Walmart. (Actually I haven't been there at all since DH saw the Walmart Movie and told me about it, but we figured that in this case, they're not making any money on selling me floss at 10¢ a skein. We agreed that this could be an exception to the no Walmart policy!) As a result, I wasn't even sure where the craft section was, but I found it easily enough. And I found the DMC - on hard-to-turn, very noisy when they did turn, carousels. Each bin had a nice big 24¢ label on it. Hmm....

I picked up a skein and walked over to the cutting table. The lady there didn't know anything about the floss being on sale or being discontinued, but she scanned it and read off the price - 10¢! Good enough for me.

Heading back over to the carousels, I pulled one of each available color (actually 2 of black, white, and B5200), ignoring all those in the wrong bins. Many, many minutes later (did I mention those carousels are a pain?), I had a basket nearly full of floss, and headed up to the checkout area.

Luckily, the store manager was one aisle over from my line, and I drew his attention to my basket, asking him if he wanted to open up another register because I was going to take a while! He thanked me for asking, and pointed me over to the customer service desk. The clerk and I quickly worked out a system. I'd line up a handful of UPC labels, hand them to her, and she scanned the handful with the handheld scanner. It worked out well, though I was afraid the poor girl was going to develop a hand cramp by the end of the pile!

The end result? 373 skeins:These will be waiting for to be organized somehow when I get home from Las Vegas on Friday. I'm headed out there for a conference on Thursday, but will be sure to stop by the local needlework shop, Stitcher's Paradise, while I'm there! I'll share any new stash pics over the weekend! :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, oh, Vegas! How long will you be there? Will you have any free time? We are in Japan right this minute, but are flying back to San Francisco. We won't be back in Vegas until Friday afternoon. Please let me know if you need a ride to Stitcher's Paradise (it's a long cab ride).

Yes, it IS a good feeling to have one of every DMC color. I think I have them all, but the last few batches aren't put away in their cozy Floss*A*Way bags yet.

Cindy said...

Our Walmart was pretty wiped out of DMC by the time I got there Saturday. But I still managed to get nearly 100 skeins. The bad thing about this is that there isn't any other store in town that carries DMC, so I'll have to plan ahead better.

Sweet Sue said...

Wow, that is one big pile of floss:)

My system is to start in 2007 and enjoy every moment while visiting your blog!

Sweet Stitchin...