/** Google Analytics script below */ /** end Google Analytics script */

Friday, November 9, 2007

SBQ Backlog

Since I haven't answered any SBQs (Stitching Bloggers' Questions) in a very long time, I'll at least catch up on the last few weeks of questions today.

This week's SBQ is:

When you have to frog out stitches, do you reuse that thread or do you start over with a new strand?

Ok, first a stitching glossary refresher: "frogging" refers to ripping out mistakes in stitching: "Rippit, rippit!"

Generally, I do not reuse a thread after frogging, since it often becomes frayed or at least loses its luster. The exceptions might be if it's only a stitch or two OR if I'm really low on the thread needed. In fact, if I have to rip out large areas, I generally cut the threads in several places to make frogging easier, which means I can't reuse the thread.

The SBQ for October 31 was suggested by Ternezia:

If you were a cross stitch designer, what would your design style be?

I can't see myself designing cross stitch. I have designed a few hardanger pieces (one of which is actually done), and have put many ideas for geometric needlepoint down on paper. Waving hand - hello, engineer here! Geometric designs are easy for me!

Here's my completed hardanger design:

The SBQ for October 24 was :

Do you railroad?

Another stitching glossary definition: Railroading is a technique to make two floss plies lay side by side. To railroad, before pushing the needle through the fabric to finish a stitch, you separate the two strands of floss by passing the needle between them. It's hard to describe without pictures. Check out this page for a better description.

Now, to answer the question. I will sometimes railroad a stitch or two. Generally, though, I prefer to use a laying tool. It seems that when I railroad, one ply ends up twisted too tightly, and the other gets all fuzzy because it's untwisting. Somebody once described it as ending up with one ply like Marcia Brady hair, and the other like Jan Brady hair!

(If anybody would like it, I'll try to post pictures of how to use a laying tool. It may have to wait a bit, because I'll need assistance with taking pictures of it. Using the laying tool takes two hands!)


The SBQ for October 17 was suggested by Jennifer:

What proportion of your stitching is for your own personal use versus gifts?

The majority of my stitching is for my own enjoyment while I'm working on it. I don't always frame or otherwise "finish" every piece I complete. Many of them are tucked away into a closet. That said, I don't necessarily want to give them away, either. I only give stitched pieces to folks I know will appreciate it. If I'm not sure, as in a wedding piece from earlier this year, I stitch something very simple. Since I don't like to stitch simple pieces, I don't do a lot of this!

So I haven't really answered the question! I suppose I give away maybe 5% or less of my stitching.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Stitcher S said...

Your hardanger is lovely! I need to take a class and learn how to do that type of needlework. :)